Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Working in the ghetto

Oh how I love my job.

So here is a slight run down of yesterday:
8:00am - Faculty meeting to discuss the last 23 days of instruction with the students. How we need to keep them in the classroom and give them "engaging" lessons (I would like to engage some of them, but lessons isn't what I am thinking these days). How we need to be in control at all times. Got it.
8:40am - From my classroom I can hear about 5 whistles blowing in the main hallway. Any teacher knows that whistles means there is bad stuff going down. So I go up the main hall. Let me paint the scene for you: 300 kids yelling, laughing and making the situation in the middle of the mob worse (go figure, right?)....once in the middle I find that one of my students in being restrained in a two man hold and they are trying to take her to the floor and can't. The men trying to do this hold can not get her under control, she is just a 7th grade girl and two grown men can't hold her. I try to help calm her down and it isn't working. Even with 4 people holding her she is still bucking kicking and nearly too much for us. She has officially gone out of her mind.
8:55am - I make it to my classroom. My students are wild as hell. All they want to do is talk about what was going on in the hall.
4th period - Students are so far gone by this time I can't get anything done. No teaching, no make up work, nothing. Apparently there had been more fights and this continues to be the main topic of conversation. My day continues on this downward spiral straight through 7th period. By this time I am just trying to make it through the day.
I leave promptly at 4pm. I do not believe in staying any later as many of you know after the incident in January. Seems that 5 fights broke out at the end of the day and there were 6 cop cars at the school.

Update: I know that at least 2 teachers were badly injured. One with a broken hand. Here is what gets me though. I talked to the kids yesterday and they found it funny that teachers got hurt, they blamed us for getting in the way of their fights and that we should have just stayed out of it.

Yes my peeps, I do believe it is the ghetto.

No comments: