Tuesday, March 21, 2006

God Speaks Devotional time

Are you kidding me?? This was my devotional today from the God Speaks website. These are based on the billboards that went up a few years ago. I love the book I got on them and subscribe to the daily devotional. So this is what I find this morning. Since when do I want to avoid temptation????? Those who know me well know better. My attitude is this: bring it on.....it is what gets me through my day LOL The story is really cool that goes with this one though.


Get up and pray that you will not fall into temptation.
- Luke 22:46

According to an old legend, two monks named Tanzan and Ekido were traveling together down a muddy road one day. Heavy monsoon rains had saturated the area, and they were grateful for a few moments of sunshine to make their journey. Before long, they came around a bend and encountered a lovely girl in a silk komono. She looked forlorn as she stared at the muddy road before her.
At once, Tanzan responded to her plight. "Come here, girl," he said. Then lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the slippery ooze to the other side of the road.

Ekido didn't speak again to Tanzan. Then that night after they reached their intended lodging, Ekido could no longer restrain his anger and disappointment. "We monks don't go near women," he said to Tanzan in an accusing voice. "Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl back there, Ekido," replied Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

Ekido thought that he had insulated himself from temptation by constructing rigid laws of conduct. Because he was focused on the letter of the law, he succumbed to the temptation to be ruled by anger, resentment, intolerance, and a lack of kindness. Don't be fooled; only God can help you master temptation by writing His living laws upon your heart.

No comments: