Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Some days I love being a teacher!

I have already mentioned that somewhere in the cosmos, someone is pissed at me and keeps giving me Satan spawn for a 6th period class. Well today I got even!!!

After kicking them out of my classroom and into the hallway at the start of class, I still could not get these "children" (better known as Satan spawn) to actually sit quietly and do their warm up. After a few warnings and giving out the learning choices that are on our school wide discipline plan and getting no better behavior, I decided to use another tactic.

First I have to say that I LOVE Cingular wireless. The roll over plan is the best thing in wireless phones. I have around 4000 minutes that have rolled over and I never worry about going over my minutes. I also never worry about using my cell phone to call a parent. If they get my number, who cares? I don't answer the phone if I don't know who is calling.

So back to the Satan Spawn....One of them would not get quiet. So fine, I pulled my trusty cell phone from my pocket and told him to give me a number. I stopped my class and called his mama. After hearing his mom yell at him and I think the shock that I actually called a parent on the second day of school, the rest of my students didn't make a sound. I got through my 6th period class with no problems. Now it is a matter of seeing how long I have to go before I have to call another mama to make a point in that class.

Also....one little victory for me as a teacher.....I made a kid cry on the second day of school!! YES!! Score one for the teacher! :-)

1 comment:

Texas Grey said...

Because after that phone call the class was silent and I have had little to no problems with this student since.

Making him cry was not my victory.