Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Lessons I learned today

I have learned that you aren't suppose to tell parents the truth. I don't believe this, but apparently at least one of my principals does. I believe the truth is the best thing. Why lie to parents about things happening at the school when it isn't a big deal? I can understand not talking about why a teacher was fired or something like that. But how can a lie be better than the truth when a teacher had to step down as a sponsor so she could attend college classes? Today when I talked to my principal about parents calling wondering what was going on with the 7th grade squad and that I had told them the other sponsor had to step down because of scheduling conflicts, I was told "I don't know if we are going to use scheduling conflicts". Ummmm, did I miss something? Is there a list of reasons for teachers stepping down that we give parents? Is there one that is more PC than the truth? I have also been told recently that we don't want to give the parents of this 7th grade squad the illusion that there is anything wrong. Ummmm, again, HELLO people, the girls needed a new sponsor and have a game in two weeks and haven't had a single practice......I guess I was smokin' some good crack because to me that looks like something is a little wrong. I mean, by all means tell me if I am wrong, but I think I understood things correctly.

Lesson number two was: Don't do anything that might make your principal look bad. The worst part is, I didn't really do anything wrong, but she needs some one to blame and since I am a lowly teacher/cheer sponsor I am going to take the fall on this. WHO knew the rules had changed about how to purchase my girls' uniforms for cheerleading? I guess they did. I had a signed approval and even told my principal I did and yet some how she says I am wrong. Two things I know for sure, I don't make a move to make a purchase without her knowing and the secretary would not have placed the order without her initials on my paperwork. With that said again, the crack is working on me because I MUST be fucking mistaken about her signing the paper that allowed me to place the order with my vendor.

Lesson number three: To be a great leader of people you must be assertive. Now I am not sure what that means or what my lead principal over my department wants, but I am not doing it right. When I asked for more clarity, I was told I had great people skills, but needed to be a better extension of him. UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, again I asked can you please explain what you mean and after a good job of dancing around I still have no idea what he really wants from me with my department. I did get that I am not to make everyone happy and that my principal feels I am not comfortable with conflict. Hello, my college professors could have told you that, I couldn't stand confrontational counseling. Why be an ass to people to get what you need from them?? That never works out well, you make the people you work with feel like crap and like they can't do anything right. How does that make a good leader?

Lesson number four: My 16 year old sister is going to be fine, but doesn't come out of anesthesia too well. As a matter of fact it sounds like her and I take it about the same way. Somehow I don't see how throwing up feels to great after having back surgery. I can't wait to see her tomorrow night. I have thought about her all day. I pray she is able to get some rest tonight.

Lesson number five: Some marriages may not just heal like mine did. Tonight I watched an ugly break up of my neighbors. I got pulled into it when he needed someone with the kids. My heart breaks for them right now and I hope that in the end it will all work out. Right now things look rather bleak.

No comments: