Monday, August 22, 2005

Common Sense

Common sense is a funny thing in a school setting. You would think more people could function with it since we are molding young minds. However I find quite often that common sense doesn't occur to my wonderful administrative staff.

Being a cheerleading sponsor for the last 3 years I have learned a little something about "cheer parents". They like to be informed. Not just a little either, they want to know it ALL. I have learned to keep my parents well informed so they don't fly off the handle and call my principals. That is always bad.

We had a sponsor step down from her position with the 7th grade team due to scheduling conflicts. I hated to lose her since I find her quite amusing and talented. Besides her accent is a trip to listen to. Anyway, I have started practices with my girls (Oh the things I could tell you about the first practice of the year and how much fun (sarcastic tone here) it is to have those girls back with me for an hour or more a couple of days a week). The 7th grade parents have started calling wanting to know why their girls aren't practicing.

Back to the common sense thing......WHY didn't my principals feel the need to call in the 7th grade squad and give the girls a letter to take home and let their parents know about the upcoming changes??? How freaking hard would that be? But no they don't call down the girls and they don't keep the parents informed and I am the one stuck having my phone ringing so I can answer questions my principals should be handling. (I am starting to wonder now why I give out my cell phone number to those parents). No one has told this squad anything. They are all freaking out because it is two weeks until the first football game and their little girls aren't practicing and getting ready. You would think the world was coming to an end. The best part, the principals could have stopped all of this worrying by just calling the girls down and telling them the freaking truth!!!!

*sigh* Another day in middle school.

At least all of this wasn't the worst part of my day. I think it was harder being in a classroom with 30 kids and no AC on a 100 degree day.

Here is to hoping tomorrow is much better :-)

No comments: