Saturday, May 20, 2006

Da Vinci Whatever

So, I figured it best to have a beer or two before starting this post. Something tells me I will be blasted for this post, but it is just some gentle observations I have been having lately.

First let me say that I don't see what the big deal is with churches feeling the need to dispel the "myths" of The Da Vinci Code (note: Good book, not nearly as good as Dan Brown's first book Angels and Demons, but fun all the same). Anyway, my church, that I love, that doesn't really know my serious issues with God, has decided to preach on the Da Vinci code. Awesome. I would love to hear their thoughts on the Illuminati, but that I am sure will come down the line sometime. That is really more for the Catholic church to go into, but then I won't go there either (at least, not tonight).

So last week's message was "Decoding Da Vinci". Really our pastor just hit on how Dan Brown was historically inaccurate in his book. That I can accept and enjoyed listening to. But then there was this one important point he made that got me to thinking. It was a comment on the wonderful "Last Supper" painting. That if it was Mary seated to the right of Jesus in the painting, then where was John, the disciple he loved most. Ok, I don't know what it was in the way that my pastor said it, but my brain spiraled to a bad place, then hubs didn't help when he said John was UNDER the table. That made it worse. I got the giggles a little, and it passed, until they brought up Bo Cephus. I don't know what he had to do with anything, but hubs and I were sharing one hell of a private joke in church. Ok, back to my spiraling thought......Something made me wonder if Jesus might have been gay. (yes, here is where you blast me) I don't know why I thought that, but our pastor kept insisting he was a single man, he had no children and that he loved John. COME ON, what would you think?!? So I jokingly mentioned it to hubs, who let me know I was going to be struck down. That ended it for the night.

Tonight's message was about dispelling the myth that Christianity wants to stifle women. Now anyone who really pays attention knows that God and Jesus held women in high regard. I do NOT want anyone to get the idea that I think differently. Women were very important to the spread of Christianity and I feel honored to be among the gender that helped get things rolling. Tonight my pastor read a quote from a woman about how Christ viewed women, when he was done with the quote I got the giggles again. (I know I am going to hell, no need to tell me now.) Hubs asked what was up, but I was really trying to listen to what the pastor had moved on to and couldn't explain what I found funny at the time. (Side note: Message tonight was VERY cool and I think it basically told me how the bible lets the world know that men are clueless. Check it out for yourselves LOL....Hubs will understand why I said this, unless he was sleeping through that part) As we are leaving he asks me what I wanted to tell him and I say I want to wait until we are safely in the vehicle before I voice my thoughts. To which hubs wants to know if he needs to place PITA in the front next to me and sit in the way back so as to suffer the least amount of damage from the lightening strike (UGH). We get in and I let him know that the quote that was read made me believe again that Jesus might have been gay, as only a gay man would speak of women as the author spoke of how Christ saw women.

Not that any of this shakes my faith, nor do I think it should bug any of you. It is just another example of me speaking before I think, but the more I think about.....one man hanging out with 12 other men that worship him, one he loves more than the others, he gives women great respect in a time when they weren't thought of much higher than slaves and was willing to sacrifice himself to save the world (Drama Queen).

I will let you know how hell is when I get there.....but then who knows.....I think God has a great sense of humor, so I may be in the clear after all. By the way, I am still looking for a gay boyfriend.

Peace Out.......

No comments: