Thursday, February 16, 2006

Inservice Game for Teachers

A fellow teacher sent this to me and I HAD to share it. It cracks me up. I spent time in one meeting where I charted the number of "ums" this guy said during his speech to us. I don't remember how many I was up to, but the triple and quadruple ums were hilarious and the rest of my team helped me to keep track. At least it made us look more focused on the meeting.


A Game for Educators during In-service...if you don't have your fart noise machine handy this can always help pass the time away.

Do you keep falling asleep in school in-service meetings?
Here's a way to change all of that.

1. Before (or during) your next meeting, prepare yourself by
drawing a square. (I find that 5" x 5" is a good size.)

2. Divide the square into columns - five across and five down.
That will give you 25 one-inch blocks.

3. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:
* modifications
* TAKS (Applys to Texas only)
* core classes
* bottom line
* revisit
* to tell you the truth (or "the truth is")
* 24/7
* out of the loop
* benchmark
* pro-active
* win-win
* think outside the box
* result-driven
* empower (or empowerment)
* knowledge based
* at the end of the day
* mind-set
* student focus(ed)
* game plan

4. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.

5. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or
diagonally, stand up and shout "BULLSHIT!"

Testimonials from satisfied "Bullshit Bingo" players:

"I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won." - Adam, El
Paso

"My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically." - David, Austin

"What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me after my
first win." Dan, Florida

"The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14
of us waited for the fifth box." - Ben, Childress

"The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed
'BULLSHIT!' for the third time in two hours." - Paul, San Angelo

"When I won and yelled "BULLSHIT!" the woman sleeping next
to me slid off her chair!" - Joseph, The Woodlands

"It was so easy to be a winner. I love the looks of sheer envy I
get from the people in the audience when I win!!!" -Brian, Amarillo

No comments: