Friday, November 04, 2005

Life Decisions

I have spent the last 10 years of my life devoted to education. I never chose this job, it almost chose me. My calling was always in helping teens and maybe even families in a counseling setting. I went to college and got a degree in counseling and psychology. I didn't know I was going to have to have a masters to get a job in counseling and if I had been smart I might have actually gone ahead then and gotten my masters with student loans.

I have been thinking lately that I need a change in my life. I don't feel like I am benefitting the kids or anyone else by staying where I am now. I love teaching Texas history and believe that no history is as fun to learn and teach as Texas history. I am no longer happy dealing with the politics of teaching. Kids can't fail and they can't make a 100 because no one is perfect. I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. If I was just allowed to teach and do it creatively I would be able to get kids to love learning and that would do fine on a test because they would actually learn the information. Learning is no longer meaningful to children, it is just skill and drill. I honestly thought 10 years ago when I got into this that would be allowed to make things meaningful, but that is not possible when admin and the government breath down your neck to make children pass a test. I am not paid for even half the hours I work during a school year and quite frankly I am burnt out and it isn't even Thanksgiving yet. I still have to make it to May.

With all of this floating around in my head, I have started thinking about what my original plan was for my life and where I wanted to go and where I hoped to be. I am not there and it is time to re-evaluate some things. I am going to look into going back to school to get my masters in Counseling. Student loans here I come.....hell, who knows I might be a lot happier not dealing with principals and getting a chance to actually help some kids and not have to always be yelling at them to get their work in.

No comments: