Thursday, November 24, 2005

Family

I am not one of those people that get excited about the holidays. I don't get warm fuzzy feelings and think back on wonderful holidays with family and friends. Over the years I have become more distant this time of year and would be happy to just avoid the whole mess. I have been dreading dealing with everything that comes with the holiday season. But yesterday I was reminded how lucky I am for some of the people in my life.

We traveled to my in law's house yesterday to celebrate Thanksgiving early. When I got there my MIL told me that she noticed on the calendar that things were going to get in the way of her and dad seeing me on my birthday, so she wanted me to open my present early. It was a gorgeous Brighton watch. She has turned me on to Brighton jewelry this last year and it was such a sweet thing for her to get me.

She made us a wonderful roast for lunch and we had a great visit. While talking at the table about weight loss and all I told her about having to take my rings off because they keeping falling off my fingers and I don't want to lose my wedding rings. She told me to follow her back to the bedroom because she wanted to show me something. She got a beautiful belt for Princess PITA for Christmas and wanted me to see it. Anyway, she asked me if I miss my rings and I told her that I panic sometimes when I feel for them and they aren't there. I really was worried I was going to lose one of them. So she goes into the bathroom and starts pulling out rings and telling me to try them on. One of them fit my ring finger and I was so surprised since it looked so tiny to me. She tells me it is her wedding ring that she can't wear anymore, it doesn't fit right. She tells me she wants me to keep it until I get my rings sized. I was so surprised. I tried to give it back but she wouldn't let me.

Her and I have come so far in the years that I have known her. She was worried about my intentions with her son since I was 17 and had a child when he met me. She told him I was a gold digger way back then and she didn't want him to get trapped. Being a mother myself I know that she was protecting her son. She has grown to love me over the years and is so wonderful to have that connection with her. I have heard so many people talk about how awful their MILs are, but I have a gem in my MIL. Even though they tell me they are the lucky ones to have me, I think I am the lucky one to have them. :-)

No comments: