Thursday, August 11, 2005

It's a CF, sir.

UGH!!!

Ok, four days of training down and I feel I have learned nothing. The administrators have fried my brain making it impossible for me to actually teach anything of substance for the first week of school. NO wonder teachers always use the first week for "house keeping" items. We are drained from a week of mindless training.

Today's agenda did serve a few purposes for me.

I learned that I do not do well in front a group without a plan for speaking. I tend to ramble and not feel like I am focused in what I have to share with the group. I now know to make some kind of mini-outline like plan of things I need to talk about.

I also learned that some people just don't freaking listen. WHY IS IT HARD TO BE A PART OF A TEAM FOR SOME PEOPLE?!?!? My history department consists of 9 people with me as the head (I know it is scary, I am lucky the team supports me). Eight people have learned how to joke, get along with each other and how to even lesson plan without feeling like their head will explode from frustration (well one grade level could do this if not for the lone member). WHY can't the last person join in and get with the program?!?! Thank goodness my principal said the EXACT things I had ALREADY said myself to the team. Maybe this lone member will join the fold in time.

Even after all of my years of learning about how people act, I just can't figure this one out. Given that I already had a rather skewed view from the beginning doesn't help. I have tried to lay the past aside, unfortunately I am finding that what I thought originally is very close to the truth. I guess nothing can be perfect, so this issue with one "team" member not being a part of the team is the flaw in my little world. Hell, how bad can life be if that was the only flaw (too bad it isn't LOL)?

I also learned through my department meeting today that the teachers we have hired at my school come with some awesome ideas and I am refreshed to hear what they have to contribute. I feel fortunate to be with this group and for all the negative feelings I had last year with the changes in the school, I am positive this year is going to be good.

Lastly.....the reality of the school year looming ahead of me hit home tonight. So many of my students from last year were at the school tonight for different reasons. The hugs I got and seeing those smiling faces really got to me. I wonder how many years I will have to wait to come across a group of children like the ones I taught last year? Surely teachers aren't that blessed two years in a row. Even if I am not blessed with great kids like the ones last year, I know that my "adopted" children are not far away. I just hope the teachers a grade level up know how lucky I think they are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. My sentimnts exactly. I love your blog, and Im totally not offended. hehe