Thursday, August 18, 2005

It was a waste

Well the day wasn't a complete waste, but my training after school was. I already knew pretty much everything they "taught" me tonight. It bites that I have to sit through training on something I already know how to do or else they won't give me the money for a job I was dong anyway!!! With that said, I learned how to create image links in HTML (UMMMM, freaking duh!!!) and I learned about how to do a web link for the school's webpage. I am sure there are people who are Master Trainers that have never used a computer and have no idea how to do HTML, but I have a problem with sitting in training for something I have been doing for over 5 years already. Of course I did a GREAT job tonight, I kept my mouth shut. I just checked in occasionally to make sure I didn't missed anything important, then went back to working on my personal website for my students. Our trainer even mentioned the crappy parent connection teacher webpages we have and how it is nice for the teachers to be able to put information on those pages for the parents. I agree with her, but the program my district uses sucks!! You would think with a district that is advanced in technology (well that is what they tell me), they could have a better system for teacher webpages. I also would like to add that since the gradebook system has gone online for our district we have been hearing that parents will be allowed to go in and look at their child's grades so they can keep up with how little Johnny is doing in class. Has that happened yet??? NO! But at teacherweb, where I have created and paid for (out of my own pocket) a website for my students. I can type in their grades and mom and dad can go to that site and type in their child's id and see how they are doing in my class. Ok, the one down fall of me using this feature is that I will have to actually get grades in the computer more than twice a six weeks. But you know, it is still cool that SOMEWHERE technology is advanced enough to be helpful to teachers and parents. Too bad my district won't look in to teacherweb for the whole district. I think they are more concerned about being able to monitor everything we are doing than to find a program that is easy to use and contains the features we need in this district.

Ok.....stepping off my technology soap box and going to bed.

No comments: