Thursday, February 09, 2006

Golden Gloves

Tonight I went to my first boxing match ever. It was super cool. One of my former students was boxing. He won his 6th Golden Glove tonight!!! I am so proud of him!! He is a great kid and it is the neatest thing ever seeing these "babies" grow up into men and women.

This weekend hubs and I were talking about how our kids that we first taught would be in their mid 20's now....That is so freaking unbelievable. I miss some of them so much. There were so many that touched my heart and their handprints will be there my whole life. It is hard to believe I am willing to give up a job where I get to affect the lives of young people, but I just don't think I am needed anymore. Maybe not in the teaching sector though.

Last Friday (Feb 3)....Here is how my day went. One kid first period needed a "spirit" shirt so he wouldn't get into trouble for being in jeans. I had bought a drama shirt that was still in my bag that I hadn't worn, so I gave it to him to wear. Later in the day I get a letter sent to me that this same student is getting ready to withdraw from school. He makes it back around to me at the end of the day to return my shirt. He tells me he is being sent to a hospital to get his bipolar disorder under control and said he looked forward to seeing me next year when he got back in the 8th grade. I didn't have the heart to tell him I wouldn't be there. Then I had a girl that I knew something was off....Well, he dad and grandfather died within 24 hours of each other. She was just out of it, why the hell was she sent to school? She is 15 and in the 7th grade. I worry about her life and how she is going to do in the future. I had another one that I had to give supplies to. She only turned around on me when she realized that the reason I am teaching is because of Ruben and her thoughts on me completely changed. She just thought I was there for a paycheck and she has a sister that has cerebral palsy.

It is because I have to be a parent to 150 kids a year that I can't do this anymore. The state welfare checks aren't big enough!

No comments: