Sunday, January 01, 2006

Thinking back on an old friend

Every year at New Year's I think back on an old friend. He was a little extra light in a dark time in my life and my marriage. He wrote me a song back in '99 and sent me the words. I still pull them out every year and read them. I miss him and our late night talks. He was a trip and taught me a lot about myself back then. He sent me on journeys of discovery that I never would have tried without him suggesting it first. Just thought I would share these words, because as I sit here grading the last of my papers, I wonder what he's doing right now.

When l think of how you've been a friend, Jen
It occurs to me
What we have are beginnings, and endings
..and what l wish l'd see
We both know it's a matter of practicality
So l guess l'm just asking, that were it not to
be...if you'd....

Keep these word in your box of treasures,
and tuck them safely away,
It may be all that l have to give,
But l have hope for one day

And you know I've been thinking
about what we have here,
There's a lot that I'm feeling, about the end of the year
Because they say we'll have a new millennium
and the old one's going out,
But l'll be wishing it was me that was kissing you,
when they start to shout....

Keep these words in your box of treasures
If only for a night
I may be dancing all around the problem. but....
I won't give up the fight
5/99

I even once heard this to music and it was so beautiful. He was a talented man and I hope that SC has found the love of his life and is happy. I do however wonder how those kitties of his are. There is just something you got to love about cat people :-)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that someone hasn't forgotten you, even when you've somehow managed to put accross the idea that you EVER forgot that same "someone".

You might JUST like to know the following updates after a very long absence..

==========================
Yes, SC actually did find the love of his life. He not only found her, he left his home town, his family, and his friends, to move a thousand miles away to be with her every day and night. They're well, they're happy, and it never gets too cold, where they live.

His beloved "brother-sister demolition team" furry ones are also well..While the meaner, and more rotten sister half didn't take too well to the move across these United States, and very nearly died as a result...she is now back to her "fighting weight" and voices her thoughts and displeasures constantly.

And IF you're wondering "what he's doing right now".....he's glad to have his song back...and he's grateful for that....and to have his friend back too.