Saturday, September 03, 2005

Bad Mom

Many days I am happy that I have my beautiful 14 year old. If I hadn't had her I would probably have no children. Last night though, I wasn't so pleased. It is amazing how badly a child can hurt your feelings sometimes.

I had the week from hell as far as needing to be in more places than humanly possible. Friday night a group of teachers gathered at Chili's for happy hour. It was nice to go somewhere and not be trained or talked to about test scores or work on lesson plans, you know just being a person for the evening.

I get a call from my frantic daughter at 4:30pm. She wants to know if she should get ready for her game (she has to go to the Varsity football games and support her team). I told her yes she should and that she should eat. I get off the phone with her and continue on with my happy hour. Hubby even showed up to mingle with the lowly teachers he chose to leave at the end of last year.

It was nice to hang out with him for a while too. Around 5:45 he says he is going to go home and make sure our daughter is ready for the game. I tell him I will be following close behind. I call the house at 6:03 to let them know I am on my way and my daughter answers. In near hysteria she tells me she is going to be late to her game and I remind her she doesn't have to be there until 6:45. She yells that she has to be there at 6:15 and she is going to be in trouble. I tell her fine, leave.

Upon getting home 2 minutes after talking to my daughter the house is empty. Ok, so I look up the e-mail that I got from her sponsor...hmmmmm, it says 6:45. Her pre-game check sheet in the living room says 6:45.

When she got home from the game (hubby and I left after the first quarter, I hate football)...anyway when she got home I asked her about the time thing. Her words and I quote "You could have been home with me, but you chose to go to happy hour instead." WTF?!? I bust my butt at work all week long, going in at 6:45am and not getting home until after 6pm every night and I am not allowed, according to my 14 year old, to go out for a couple of hours with friends before her game. I was two flipping minutes from the house. And what hurt most was that I read into that comment that she thinks I am a bad mom for not being home immediately after work. ~sigh~

No comments: