Tuesday, July 26, 2005

High school fears

My daughter starts high school in 3 short weeks. This is the cause of much stress for me. My daughter has been a follower the last 3 years in middle school. She has chosen to pick up cultures that are not her and to change her ways to suit the "friends" that will give her the time of day. This has bugged me for 3 years and I have tried to talk to her and help her be herself. She did this towards the end of her 8th grade year and she really shined. She had friends (that weren't thugs or being sent to alternative school) and was taking pride in her looks and even to a small degree her grades.

We have taken her out to do a little clothes shopping and her dad has all but had a heart attack. He just doesn't get that the clothes of today are a little more revealing and that his daughter us blessed (or cursed) with boobs. We have finally compromised on some trendy looks as long as I tack the shirts a little more to help cover the cleavage. Ok....one thing down to help her on her path to make high school great.....she will have great clothes.

She has her room set up like she wants (even thought it isn't completely done). Her computer (her first one) is being delivered today. We will get the clothes tomorrow. So I am setting her up to help her create a great high school experience. I am giving her the tools to help create the person she wants to be.

While taking to my husband about my fears with high school he tells me he is worried too. Ok, who are we kidding here.....my husband has no idea the kinds of things that we should be worrying about because he was a model kid in high school.......star tennis player, good to his parents, always followed the rules, made good grades, was in honors classes, and when he wasn't doing tennis stuff he was working at a job that he had since he was 14. If he based his worry on what his teen years were like then I would have to say that my daughter will have no problems. Unfortunately she is more like me than him. My high school experience was much different. I was in a sexual relationship in my freshman year, a mom by January of my sophomore year and had learned how to cheat the system so I could skip without worry of losing credits by my junior year. And that is just the tip of the ice burg. When I said this to my husband he tells me "Thanks, I hadn't even thought of half those things". Ummmmm, no wonder he isn't really freaking about high school for our daughter.

No comments: